Sen. Jeremy Moss is serving his first term representing the 11th State Senate District in southern Oakland County.
Jeremy grew up in Southfield and attended Michigan State University. He participated in several student-led humanitarian aid missions in the US and around the globe, twice traveling to New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina to assist with cleanup efforts and spending time abroad in Uruguay to build housing in among the most impoverished areas of South America.
As an MSU student, Jeremy studied in South Africa, completing a program on race relations. While there, he helped to build and establish Vumundzuku Bya-Vana Children’s Center in the township of Zonkizizwe to assist at-risk children orphaned by HIV/AIDS. He returned home to earn a bachelor’s degree in journalism with an additional major in political science and graduated from MSU with high honors.
In 2011, Jeremy successfully ran for a seat on the Southfield City Council, becoming the youngest-ever elected official in the city’s history at age 25. Jeremy worked with his colleagues on City Council on policies that led to record investment in local road construction and consecutive years of declining crime.
Jeremy was elected to the Michigan House of Representatives in 2014 and served as the Democratic Whip. As an advocate for ethics and accountability, he worked across the aisle to pass ten bills in the House that would open up government records to public scrutiny by subjecting the governor’s office and state legislature to principles of the Freedom of Information Act.
He is continuing those efforts in the State Senate while also working to restore the harsh cuts to local governments and school districts that have impacted the lives of working families, retirees and students.
Jeremy is currently a board member of Congregation Beth Ahm in Oakland County and an advisory board member of the Martin Luther King Task Force in Southfield.
- BA in Journalism and Political Science, Graduated with High Honors from MSU
- Studied Race Relations in South Africa
- Michigan Political Leadership Program Fellowship through MSU
Public Service Leadership:
- State Senator, 2019 - Present
- State Representative, 2015 - 2018
- Southfield City Councilman, 2011 - 2014
- Michigan Democratic Party State Central Committee, Former Delegate
- Southfield Lathrup Village Democratic Club, Former Board Trustee
- Oakland County Democratic Party, Former Executive Board Officer
- Former Southfield Democratic Precinct Delegate
- Alternate Delegate from Michigan to the 2012 Democratic National Convention
Civic and Community Leadership:
- Congregation Beth Ahm, Board Trustee
- Martin Luther King Task Force, Member of Advisory Board of Directors
- Magnolia Homeowners Association, Member
- Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity, Past President (MSU Chapter)
Awards and Honors
- 2019 Affirmations Center Community Hero Award Recipient
- 2018 Police Officers Association of Michigan Legislator of the Year
- 2018 Wylie E. Groves High School Honor Alumnus
- 2017 Michigan Press Association Sunshine Award Recipient
- 2016 Oakland Community College Honors Convocation Speaker
- 2011 Oakland County Democratic Party Young Democrat of the Year
The 11th State Senate District in southern Oakland County